Problems with lchown..

Exactly how is this lchown problem fixed?  I've got the most recent
versions of libc6 and dpkg from ftp.debian.org installed, the .02 of the
alpha kernel sources from gatekeeper, and tried the lchown version of
libc6 on the rcpt.to site.

Currently, the machine is dead because I renamed ld-2.0.7.so to -old, and
nothing beyond cd seems to want to work (I downgraded every bit of libc6
to the "working" version except ld-2.0.7.so, which tar reported as busy,
and it still wasn't working).  Since the box is remote, I'd like to be
ready for a surefire fix when I go to visit it (recovering ld-2.0.7.so
from a rootdisk is no problem, I just need the goods on the lchown stuff).

Thanks.