Lingering Problems with lchown..

It looks like libc6.1 2.0.7u-4 from ftp.debian.org is what broke the
machine in the first place.  It was working mostly fine until I installed
that.  Now it looks like my problems are getting a kernel that supports
this lchown reversal that was mentioned on the mailing list.  I saw
various patches on the list, some of which were in .deb format that I did
my best to break out and put on the debian-supplied kernel, on a clean
kernel, and both had copious compile errors before finally dying.

Any pointers to an actual file of a patch and procedures for resolving
this?  I guess I started using debian at a bad time, because first, X was
blown to hell, then when I finally got the new X packages that I needed,
dpkg stopped working. :(