RE: Installing from the net/floppy.

>Hi. I've heard there was a script for installing a new system that is
>glibc2; but I'm uncertain whether this is for the Alpha or not.  I tried
>installing Slink from the net before, only to run into a real big nasty
>problem with the glibc2 package and dpkg segv'ing on it.  I've heard this
>is fixed...

The install disks don´t have this problem.

>My question is, "Is it safe?" :)  And particularly, what should I look out
>for?  I have an EB164, and already know the boot disks are scrap to me
>because of the AIC drivers in those kernels; how will this complicate
>things?

You´d just have to copy a working kernel onto the resc1440 disk.
(It´s a DOS disk btw)., the file is called linux. Get the kernel from redhats ftp archive.
If you are able to boot MILO (The MILO HOWTO will help you at that), then this should be enough.
Otherwise you´d have to exchange milo too.

BTW. Does anybody else have problems with AIC ?
If so, I think there is a patch out there, which could be included into the kernel-patch package.