Re: new root and base disks available!

On Tue 12 May 1998, Wes Bauske wrote:
> Alexander Jolk wrote:
>
> > Loic Prylli <lprylli@graville.fdn.fr> writes:

> > > That again is a problem of the kernel, and though we should address it
> > > either by documentation (maybe a command-line option to the kernel can
> > > help there) or by generating custom kernel, it is not linked to the

Does the tulip driver accept any commandline parameters?

> Tulip.o does a much better job handling non-DEC Enet cards.
> de4x5 basically works only on real DEC HW. If you use
> de4x5, it won't work on my systems and lots of other people's.
> Tulip is preferred by most people running 21x4x on Alpha,
> particularly those using 100B-TX.
> I believe most people using Linux Alpha are running on non-DEC
> systems. Note MB is a DEC design but, it doesn't usually have
> a built in Enet which leaves selection up to the buyer.

That may be, but this was a rescue disk for the udb-noname, which only
comes with the onboard network...

offtopic: is it really true that most alpha's are non-dec? Here in the
Netherlands most linux users with an alpha get it from one supplier, who
only sells digital stuff at quite low prices (I think; my XLT-300 with
1GB disk, cdrom, matrox mystique, 96MB ram was about US$1250).

> Your comment that Tulip doesn't do selection as well as de4x5 is
> incorrect. When you have to cope with a dozen different card designs,
> the problem is much more difficult than a single manufacturer's
> products. In general, tulip's weakness is due to the many varied
> ways one can set up a 21x4x chip on it's programmable pins.
> 16 ways for each chip set (21040/21140/21142/21143/etc.).
> And, you have to hope the manufacturer put the correct
> pin settings in the EEPROM! Quite a few don't.

All the evidence I have is that the de4x5 does selection correctly,
while the tulip doesn't. So, as far as I'm concerned, tulip does not do
selection as well as de4x5 :-)

You'd expect that digital had done the Right Thing; apparently not as
far as the tulip driver is concerned.

> If you use MII , tulip works great. When you have cards

Please explain MII? This is the first I've heard of that...

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software, Enschede, the Netherlands