Re: new root and base disks available!

On Sat 02 May 1998, Loic Prylli wrote:

> I have starting with the standard boot-floppies package from Intel(it
> works also for m86k) and tried to adapt it to some alpha peculiarity.
>
> I have put the root/base disks (as well as the diff on the boot-floppies
> package that allow to  generate them) on:
> http://lhpca.univ-lyon1.fr/axp/debian.html
>
> I have only do one or two simple installation test with them and it
> seems to work, but they clearly need more testing, and there are
> without doubt some deprecancies.

The first problem I got was that the ramdisk was mounted readonly, so
that the configuration of the keyboard failed ("Can't open
/tmp/kbdconf"). I switched to the second VC and did "mount -n
-orw,remount /" after which it worked.  I believe this is an inherent
bug in the boot-floppies version you used, please try again with a newer
version!

Besides that, the kernel on the rescue disk I used didn't autodetect where I had
connected the network on my multia (which was coax); luckily I had a
tranceiver handy and used that to connect my coax to the AUI port, after
which I could ping my system with the packages (after ifconfig etc.).

Unfortunately, I couldn't get an NFS connection active (something about
portmapper not responding I believe), so I couldn't continue with the
installation procedure :-(

Anyway, at least the "look and feel" of the installation floppies is the
same as the i386 ones, which I feel is important for a consistent Debian
appearance. So, keep up the good work and let me know when you have
another set of floppies for me to try out! Network install capability is
a must IMHO, especially for Multia/UDB users who usually don't have a
cdrom. I also don't want to use 6-8 base set floppies!

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software, Enschede, the Netherlands