Re: bash/libreadline, syslog, libg++

On Friday, 31 Oct, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:

> Hehehe..sounds like this one took a piece out of you :)  I'll untar them
> tonight and make them available until they show their faces in
> binary-alpha on master.

Thanks.  Now, when that piece has partially come back into me, I have
some comments.

Due to a bug in gcc (which was recently fixed in egcs) it proved
impossible to compile libg++ with -fvtable-thunks.  However, it was
possible to fix libg++ to make it compatible with glibc-2.0.5c despite
the absence of vtable thunks.

Please note that libg++272 is not expected to be thread safe.

I am really looking forward to using egcs, which comes with its own
libstdc++, thus rendering the libg++ package unimportant (the only
package known to me that uses libg++ itself is menu-package, which will
be eventually rewritten in pure ANSI C++).  Switch to egcs will give us
vtable thunks, multithread safe libstdc++ and support of C++ exceptions.
We shouldn't run into compatibility problems, as egcs' libstdc++ has a
different soname.

	Nikita