Re: XFree86-3.3.1 available...

On Thursday, 30 Oct, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:

> Since I don't use X at all, can someone PLEASE test this for me?
> Everything compiled just fine (despite taking 28 hours on my UDB to
> compile and 1 hr just to package) after patching a file or two, so
> hopefully everything will be functioning.

It seems to be running just fine as well.  Even xterm is not so badly
broken as it used to be in the previous release.  It is still broken a
bit, though: it screws up terminal settings upon startup (for example,
it sets olcuc so that everything goes in uppercase).  The differences
between xterm's settings and the result of `stty sane' are as follows:
	   xterm	stty sane
	eol = <undef>	eol = M-^?	(this is not essential)
	-brkint		brkint
	olcuc		-olcuc
	ocrnl		-ocrnl
	tab2		tab0
	vt1		vt0
	echonl		-echonl		(does not seem to be essential)

There is some very nasty code in xterm that deals with terminal
settings - it tries to figure out which system it is executed on
(BSD/POSIX/whatever else) and act accordingly; it seems that it may
misdetect something on Linux, especially under glibc2.

Several months ago I made a strange patch
(genie.ucd.ie:/pub/alpha/xterm-alpha.glibc.diff) to compile xterm.  The
resulting xterm was not perfect, but it had no problems with initial
stty settings.  Can you carefully check this patch against your xterm
source (don't apply it!) to find out what may cause stty problems, or
just send me the xterm sources?

Everything else is surprisingly fine so far.  Thank you!

	Nikita