Re: bash/libreadline, syslog, libg++

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:
> I guess that's good news :P

I just wish I knew why it was crashing before and why it
isn't crashing now. (And I'd like to know why my computer at
home is crashing, but that's not related to this list.)

> Hmmm...I've had unerring results from the de4x5 driver, but then again, I
> have the Pretty Much Deathproof UDB (TM) :P  Have you tried compiling it
> as a module and load it at boot?  It's not an answer, but you could
> probably get better control over error logging with this.  Out of
> curiosity, does it give you any idea as to why it's not working properly
> on some boots?

I apologize, I typoed: the problem is that it doesn't
re-boot correctly. It writes the message that says something
like "Rebooting, please wait" (not the exact words), and
then nothing happens. This has happened from time to time
with other kernels and under Red Hat as well, so it's
probably not related to Debian.

No being able to re-boot except by using the reset button is
a condition I can live with, at least as long as the system
is otherwise mostly stable.

> Now this is weird.  I've got a clean-running syslogd here.  Let me know
> what version of the sysklogd package you're running and what you think
> might be causing the problem and I'll look into it further.

I haven't investigated it yet (so many problems, so little
time...), but dpkg tells me:

	Package: sysklogd
	Version: 1.3-15

(I can provide a full package listing if someone wants it.
Ask in private.)

> > * the base system installed bash 2.0-3 and libreadline2
> > 2.1-2; I have newer packages from master, 2.01-5 and 2.1-7,
> > respectivel. However, these don't install, due to
> > dependencies and conflicts.
>
> Most likely, the newer versions of both are requiring the new ncurses.

I've been sleeping all day, so at the moment I'm not too
sure about what the problem was, but I think it was that the
new version of bash depends on libreadline2g, and
libreadling2g conflicts with libreadline2, and
and the old (installed) version of bash depends
on libreadline2, and since bash is Required (or Essential?),
dpkg refuses to remove libreadline2 in preference of
libreadline2g, and thus I can't install the new bash. Or
something like that.

I have ncurses3.4 (version 1.9.9g-5) installed, as it
happens. ncurses3.0 (1.9.9e-1) as well.

> Do you think your problems are hardware-related or just a product of our
> relative instability of our project right now?  Just curious :)

Since it crashes under Red Hat as well, I doubt it's caused
by Debian.