Crashes, crashes not, crashes, crashes not...

Last week I had a nice, repeatable way of crashing the
system (I ran badblocks on a certain partition). Anyone who
has any experience in debugging knows that it is nice to
be able to repeat a problem at will.

On Friday morning (local time), I also could crash the
system by running e2fsck on another partition, or even by
trying to copy the data from the partition using dd to
another disk. I then left home for the weekend (I'd been at
work all night).

When I came to work today, on Monday evening, the machine
does not crash, not on badblocks, not on e2fsck, not on dd.

The spectre of temperature problems has manifested itself.

(I hate hardware. It doesn't follow any logic at all.
There's something altogether unnatural about hardware.)