Re: Crashes, crashes not, crashes, crashes not...

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> Last week I had a nice, repeatable way of crashing the
> system (I ran badblocks on a certain partition). Anyone who
> has any experience in debugging knows that it is nice to
> be able to repeat a problem at will.

Agreed.  Reproduction of a crash condition is great since it
helps to be able to explain it to the others that obviously
aren't having the problem (or else it would've been fixed) :P
Hehehehe...

> On Friday morning (local time), I also could crash the
> system by running e2fsck on another partition, or even by
> trying to copy the data from the partition using dd to
> another disk. I then left home for the weekend (I'd been at
> work all night).

That's kinda weird.  Only thing I can think of is a SCSI error
of some sort.  Either that or RAM troubles....hmmm...

> When I came to work today, on Monday evening, the machine
> does not crash, not on badblocks, not on e2fsck, not on dd.

Well, good news, I guess, but bad news since nothing changed
and it's unknown what caused the problem...

> The spectre of temperature problems has manifested itself.

Hehehehe

> (I hate hardware. It doesn't follow any logic at all.
> There's something altogether unnatural about hardware.)

I agree...it's the work of evil. :P

Chris