Re: [DEBIAN-ALPHA] Installition for UDB

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Marc A. Volovic wrote:

> I  (though I am not core member) am using a UDB with 1GB external disk.
> C'est touts. I am trying to convince a local computer company to import
> Aspen's boards and roll their own systems.

Not a bad idea.  Even though I live in a big city, our computer shoppes
are very lacking for the most part.  I wish I could convince one of our
locals to do the same, but I doubt I ever could.

> I used ARC and switched back to SRM - it is more flexible, imho.

It is more flexible, but for what I do (autoboot only...rarely mess with
anything else on that level), it didn't matter much and I didn't want to
learn anything more complex than having to use arrow keys :P

> :-). By the way - it is NOT a bad idea since it helps newbies to find
> their way.

Very true.  If there's one thing I have to give to RedHat, they're
installations are fantastic.  I may not like their distribution, but
installing it is a treat.

> Not strictly necessary, but I can see the reason for this. Mainly
> preference, but see below.

Yeah, it was preference.  Mike Dorman noticed something also that hampered
my partition arrangement....MILO doesn't know how to handle symbolic
links....

> I prefer fdisk to cfdisk for functional reasons - it is much simpler to
> make specific sizes and starting/ending points for partitions with fdisk
> and I also trust it
> better.

Ah, ok.  On that, I have to agree.  Luckily, the rewrites I have in mind
won't affect the user interface at all -- it only will change the way that
the partition table structures are modified and read from.  Basically, I
want to permanently remove the problem that caused the unaligned trap
warnings in the past and use proper memory access functions instead of
"winging it" like the original code does.

Chris