Re: The Debian Alpha maintainers have some inappropriate elitism

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, nm wrote:

> on this note, i will present a little question...

Ok :)

> are there any documents available that list what packages
> really go into a basic linux based system?  the source
> packages that is...

Hmmm....oh, wait...I'll respond below...

> here is the story...
> i am trying to put together a simple (read handi-capped)
> linux distro that i can run on alpha and intel (and maybe
> sparc if i can ever affoard one ;) but i am having lots
> of problems... i think that this could be accomplished with
> realitive ease if a list of source packages (ie sysvinit,
> util-linux, linux-2.x.x.tar.gz etc ;) where to find them
> (the latest and greatest versions) and who and how to
> contact the authors...

Well, I don't know of an established list of packages, but you probably
could do right to check out what goes into the base disks for Debian.
With a few exceptions (ae, notably), everything it contains is needed for
a very basic system.  In fact, if you go into the binary-i386 directory
for hamm on master, you should be able to list the packages there and
prune it down a little to get a good idea of what you'll need.  I, for
one, don't really know everything needed, come to think of it.  I suppose
I should, but really never needed to, I guess.  If you can, try to do what
I mentioned above and see if that helps.  If not, I'd be happy to
investigate this more for you.

> if such a document does not exist would anyone be willing
> to help me make one?

Sure.  Most likely, there probably is a list of things SOMEWHERE, but it
should be more accessible and obvious IMO.  If it's not, let's make one
based on your experiences and I'll add it to my Debian-Alpha site on the
web...

Chris