Re: Updating Triton

Hi Kari,

On 2024-03-02 23:15, Kari Pahula wrote:
> I finally got MLIR and LLVM dependencies satisfied with libtriton.so.

Good to hear.

> Upstream's cmake was linking to both of those statically and when I
> changed it to dynamic linking the LLVM part stopped complaining as
> well.  However, the way I did was heavily hacky as I pretty much ended
> with running sed on the cmake generated files.  I couldn't find a
> cmake way to do it properly and I may have to ask upstream to do it.
> The style they're using is to is to download everything and use that
> copy with no care for sharing.

Yeah, this is an common pattern. This can often be addressed in cmake by
making the download conditional (USE_SYSTEM_LIBFOO), addressing the
linking type in the process. And this can easily be upstreamed.

Let us know when git has been updating, I'm sure someone will take a look.

> I still haven't got to testing this since solving the existing issues
> revealed the next blocker: dependency on pytorch with hip.  I take
> that it's still in the works?

Yep, that's the white whale, so to speak.

See [1] for Cory's most recent report, in particular the attachment [2]
with the dependency graph for pytorch. There have been changes since then:
  * rocalution is done
  * rocdbgapi is RFS'ed [3], I think Petter is working on it
  * hipify is currently RFS [4]
  * I'm stalled on composable_kernel (infra work and package updates)
  * you ITPed hipblaslt.

Best,
Christian

[1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-ai/2023/12/msg00029.html