Re: ROCm upgrade to clang-17

Hi Cory,

On 2024-02-22 19:32, Cordell Bloor wrote:
> On 2024-02-22 08:52, Christian Kastner wrote:
>> Could you expand on the "need to be rebuilt" bit? As in: do you mean
>>   (1) a "changeless" rebuild in unstable for those in currently
>>       experimental, or
>>   (2) are changes needed pending clang-17, or
>>   (3) updating lagging packages to 5.7+
>
> I suppose "need to be rebuilt" was an overstatement. The topmost point
> in the dependency tree that is coupled to the compiler is rocm-hipamd.
> We don't "need" to rebuild any of the math libraries.
>
> However, it would be good to rebuild the math libraries with clang-17,
> as we can then:
>
>  1.
>
>     Add gfx1100, gfx1101 and gfx1102 to the AMDGPU_TARGETS. All ROCm
>     libraries packaged for Debian added support for those architectures
>     in ROCm 5.4. It should be sufficient to update d/rules to enable
>     those architectures.
>
>  2.
>
>     Drop the patchelf rpath stripping from d/rules. clang-17 no longer
>     forces rpath to be enabled when building HIP language code, so we
>     won't have to remove it after the fact.

Great, thanks for clarifying.

I guess this would mean that the libraries would need a versioned
Build-Depends on hipcc, to ensure it's a version built with clang-17.
(This is fine, I'm just saying it so that we don't forget.)

And effectively, s/good/need/ to rebuild because we definitely want
gfx110[0-2] support.

>> I guess one thing that everyone can do is do (3), as long as
>> they target experimental, for the libraries still behind, except for
>> rocBLAS and rocSOLVER as per [1].
>
> That would be helpful. I would suggest hipsparse, rocfft, and hipfft as
> libraries that can be updated to ROCm 5.7.1. Although, again, it's not
> strictly necessary as part of the move to clang-17. Those are just nice
> routine updates.

Thanks, that's helpful.

Best,
Christian