Re: ROCm upgrade to clang-17

Hi Christian,

On 2024-02-22 08:52, Christian Kastner wrote:
On 2024-02-22 01:48, Cordell Bloor wrote:
I'm still working on updating rocm-hipamd to use clang-17,
Great, thanks. This one is a bit daunting.

I have to rebase the patches, but I've done the copyright review and successfully built rocm-hipamd for ROCm 5.6.1. The updates from there to 5.7.1 seem fairly small, but there was a lot of reorganization of the code. I might handle the bump to 5.7.1 as a second step.

Could you expand on the "need to be rebuilt" bit? As in: do you mean
  (1) a "changeless" rebuild in unstable for those in currently
      experimental, or
  (2) are changes needed pending clang-17, or
  (3) updating lagging packages to 5.7+

I suppose "need to be rebuilt" was an overstatement. The topmost point in the dependency tree that is coupled to the compiler is rocm-hipamd. We don't "need" to rebuild any of the math libraries.

However, it would be good to rebuild the math libraries with clang-17, as we can then:

  1. Add gfx1100, gfx1101 and gfx1102 to the AMDGPU_TARGETS. All ROCm libraries packaged for Debian added support for those architectures in ROCm 5.4. It should be sufficient to update d/rules to enable those architectures.

  2. Drop the patchelf rpath stripping from d/rules. clang-17 no longer forces rpath to be enabled when building HIP language code, so we won't have to remove it after the fact.

I guess one thing that everyone can do is do (3), as long as
they target experimental, for the libraries still behind, except for
rocBLAS and rocSOLVER as per [1].

That would be helpful. I would suggest hipsparse, rocfft, and hipfft as libraries that can be updated to ROCm 5.7.1. Although, again, it's not strictly necessary as part of the move to clang-17. Those are just nice routine updates.

Best,
Christian

[1]
https://salsa.debian.org/rocm-team/community/team-project/-/wikis/ROCm-5.7-Release-Plan#obstacles
    By the way, is this list of obstacles current?

I've updated it. At the moment, the only library that is 'blocked' from updating to ROCm 5.7 is rccl, which requires hipify-perl. I have an RFS open [2]. However, rccl has at least been updated to ROCm 5.4, which should be sufficient to enable GFX11 support.

[2]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-ai/2024/02/msg00084.html