Re: Breaking down barriers to ROCm packaging

On 2024-01-29 00:27, Cordell Bloor wrote:
> At this point, I think the greatest barrier to ROCm packaging on
> Debian is the limited number of individuals working on it. A couple
> more volunteers working on packaging new tools and libraries would
> make a big difference.

I think a key issue here is that debian-ai is a very young list, and
thus probably still has a very limited audience.

Given the current enthusiasm surrounding GPU-accelerated computing, we
should reach out at least to debian-science (which has a far larger
audience), maybe even debian-devel.

It might also be worthwhile to ping individual package maintainters,
eg: blender.

I think that with a proper "pitch", it should be possible to entice new
contributors.

On 2024-01-29 08:34, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> My main obstacle is that I do not know which hardware is going to
> work, and if any I got is new enough to be working, nor how to test
> if it is going to work.  I am sure I could figure it out, but have
> been too busy elsewhere to start investigating.

I've been successfully using RDNA2 cards (eg: 6800 XT). Some RDNA3
cards like the 7900 XTX are even officially supported upstream, we
just need more maintainers working on the stack.

> I asked on IRC (#debian-ai) once how to figure out which cards will
> work, but got no reply, so I moved on.

Similar problem to above: that channel probably has an even smaller
audience than the list. I wasn't even aware of it (but I'm not an
IRC type).

Best,
Christian