Re: rocprim and rocthrust copyright review

Hi Cory,

Cordell Bloor, on 2022-10-13:
> I've been working on librocprim2-dev (5.3.0-1). I think it just needs to be
> updated with the ITP bug number (#1021695) and go through copyright review,
> then it'll be ready for submission. The packaging depends on some of the
> fixes for rocm-hipamd that are currently in experimental, so it would
> probably go into experimental itself. The librocthrust2-dev (5.3.0-1)
> package is still a work-in-progress, but it's very similar to rocprim and
> should reach the same state within the next few days.

That's great to read!  I will be busy focusing on release
critical bugs during a BSP this weekend, but I'll be happy to
help with the review next week while migrating ROCm 5.2.3 to
unstable, if no one beats me at one or both.

I have a minor nitpick: you may want to refer to the source
package name (rocprim, rocthrust), as one single source may
produce several binary packages.  I also see the control files
of rocprim and rocthrust are limited to producing lib*-dev
packages for the moment, which normally store only development
headers, so I suppose the part of the packaging about routing
files to the different locations is still work in progress.  You
can have a peek at the policy manual, notably the chapter on
shared libraries[0] if you are interested in the topic.

[0]: https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html

> I'm not sure if Debian has explicit rules about who can do the copyright
> review, but I don't feel comfortable doing it myself. If someone would be
> willing to review those two packages, it would be appreciated!

Anyone can write and review a d/copyright file.  Historically it
has been a free form text, but nowadays there is a standard DEP5
copyright 1.0 file format[1] which you can try to wrap up if you
like.

Formally on first upload of the package to the archive, it won't
reach immediately debian sid or experimental.  Instead it will
reach the NEW queue[2] for the ftpmaster team to proceed to the
last formal review of the package, including but not limited
to[3] checking the d/copyright file for consistency and diminish
the risks of unintended conflicts on terms or copyright
violations; the process is mostly manual and can take some time,
you can see rocrand still pending review for instance.

[1]: https://dep-team.pages.debian.net/deps/dep5/
[2]: https://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html
[3]: https://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html

Thanks for your contributions!  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <emollier@emlwks999.eu>
Fingerprint:  8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da