Re: ROCm hardware coverage assessment for Debian maintenance

Hi Cory,

Cordell Bloor, on 2022-01-21:
> On 2022-01-17 1:59 p.m., Étienne Mollier wrote:
> > maxzor, on 2022-01-16:
> > > It might prove useful to keep your RX560 available for testing as well!
> > > There are numerous users on Polaris, that are sad at seing official
> > > support go away for ROCm.
> > > As far as I know, loosing official support does not mean that the GPUs
> > > are not
> > > "enabled" in the stack anymore, and that you cannot make them work.
> > I don't plan to throw hardware away, I utterly dislike wasting.
> > But if I recall correctly discussion with Cordell, I expect to
> > have problems with at least rocblas on the polaris card.  I can
> > sure see how far I can go with the RX560 for hardware coverage
> > of course.
>
> I was referring to the incorrect GEMM results in rocBLAS on gfx803
> <https://github.com/ROCmSoftwarePlatform/rocBLAS/issues/1218>.
> Unfortunately, we do not test unsupported platforms, so breakages go
> unnoticed when they're introduced. I suspect the underlying problems are
> straightforward to resolve, but the process of debugging them is not.
>
> I think the best approach would be find a version of rocBLAS that passes all
> tests on gfx803. I'm not sure which version that might be, but perhaps
> rocBLAS for ROCm 3.5. Then search for the commit that introduced the test
> failures. I'd do it myself, but it may be a long while before I have time.
>
> ROCm does not officially support gfx803, but rocBLAS would gladly accept
> patches that fixed problems on the platform. And I would gladly provide
> advice to anyone who wanted to track and fix ROCm bugs on gfx803.

Thanks for the pointer, will see if I manage to get somewhere
around that issue when I get to working on rocblas.

Have a nice day,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <emollier@emlwks999.eu>
Fingerprint:  8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da