Re: TVM and dlpack

Hi Wooky,

On Thu, 2022-01-20 at 13:36 +0000, Wookey wrote:

> In doing so I discoved that it (tvm) needs at least dlpack-dev v0.4
> and we currently have 0.0~git* in debian:
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/dlpack
>
> Upgrading to the current 0.6 was trivial so I've done that.  I could
> just upload, but I don't know if that would break anything else?
> There are no rdepends on libdlpack-dev in the archive so I guess it
> should be fine, right? Does anyone else care what version of dlpack
> is in the archive?

I have no idea what reverse dependency I was working on when packaging
dlpack, but now there is no package depending on it:
https://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=libdlpack-dev
$ build-rdep libdlpack-dev

Please simply go ahead.

> TVM also has a pile of other stuff: python, go, rust, and java
> bindings, and some other bits I don't know what it's for (nnvm,
> vta). How much of that should we be building and packaging in debian?

Then python binding should be available for the first upload if
possible, because the introductory documentation of tvm is using
python. That's also where we start if we want to run sanity test
for it.

I suggest the bindings for other languages be postponed. C/C++
plus python is enough for first upload.

> My current plan is to get a basic (libraries+docs) v0.8 package in
> the
> NEW queue, then look at adding the labguage bindings. Does that seem
> sensible?

LGTM.

> And would anyone like to help test this as I have no clue how it
> works
> :-)

for c and c++ part the upstream unit test is enough
https://tvm.apache.org/docs/install/from_source.html#enable-c-tests

for python part there should be pytest. (did not look into code)

if we want to do more tests manually, we can copy the starter
python examples
https://tvm.apache.org/docs/tutorial/tvmc_command_line_driver.html

but I have seen some version requirement on onnx. Our onnx needs
to be updated as well. Onnx version bump may affect pytorch.