Re: collect debian-admintools

On Wed, Apr 21, 1999 at 11:50:02AM +0200, guenter geiger wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Michael Bramer wrote:
>
> > Debian have a lot of Admins Tools like adduser, magicfilterconfig,
> > linuxlogoconfig, pppconfig, gpmconfig, XF86Setup, and more
> >
> > Can we collect all this tools? I propose to use the menu system for
> > this. With the need="debianconfig" option, we can collect this and write
> > a [X11|gtk|kde|ncurses|.*]tool to find and use this tools.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> I think this should be mandatory for all configuration (postinst) scripts
> that require user interaction. Things like that have been mentioned more
> then once on the list, and I dont know what the new apt interface does
> with configuration scripts.  But anyhow, the user should have a
> possibility to look at packages which require configuration and be
> able to to reconfigure any time.

apt use dpkg, and dpkg start the postinst etc. In the result apt make
no difference.

My proposel don't point to the interaction at the install time.
But you get a good point: The install-scripts sould use configprograms.
(like shadowconfig) with this, the user can reconfig his system all the
time (and find the programs with my proposel)

> If it is possible to find out if the postinst scripts need interaction,
> we could as well add them automatically.

I think this is not usefull.

Grisu
--
Michael Bramer -- a Debian Linux Developer        http://www.debian.org