Re: collect debian-admintools

On Tue, Apr 20, 1999 at 11:42:44PM -0500, Steve Gore wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 1999 at 01:50:38AM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> >
> > Debian have a lot of Admins Tools like adduser, magicfilterconfig,
> > linuxlogoconfig, pppconfig, gpmconfig, XF86Setup, and more
> >
> > Can we collect all this tools? I propose to use the menu system for
> > this. With the need="debianconfig" option, we can collect this and write
> > a [X11|gtk|kde|ncurses|.*]tool to find and use this tools.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> I'm not a developer, but as a user I think this is a very good idea.  New users
> especially have a difficult time finding the correct way to configure Debian.

Ok.
I move this to debian-policy.

After same thougths I think that need="debianconfig" is to simple. We
must distinguish between console and X tools and make new 'admin'
sections, like:

Hardware
    gpmconfig
    magicfilterconfig
    modconf
    gpmconfig

Kernel- und Bootconfig
    make bootdisk
    liloconfig

Network
    networkconfig
    pppconfig
    sendmailconfig

menu-system
    update-menue

documentation
User and Groups
    adduser
    addgrp

Backups
   dbackup

XFree86
   XF86Config
   XF86Setup

and more.

for the needs:
 need="debianconfig"
 need="debianconfig-X11"  for X11-only Tools
 need="debianconfig-text" for text only Tools
 need="debianconfig-vc"   for VC only Tools (ex. gpmconfig)

with description the maintainer make a small description of the tool

and with the new tag 'readmy' a documentation link (like:
(/usr/doc/lilo/liloconfig.readmy oder
/usr/doc/lilo/html/liloconfig.html)

Should we make this as a debian policy. This all only proposels

Comments?

Grisu
--
Michael Bramer -- a Debian Linux Developer        http://www.debian.org