Re: Please release the Ada Reference Manual formatting tool as Free Software

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 04:55:02AM -0400, Stephen Leake wrote:
> "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com> writes:
>
> > Hello. As requested, I am looking at re-releasing the source of the
> > formatting tool under an Open Source license.
> >
> > My main concern is that the license be one that is appropriate for the
> > Debian packagers (whom I believe are the source of this request).
>
> Yes, that's me.

I also found old bug from Debian bug tracker:

> > As a tool, it appears most sensible to license this under one of the GPLs.
> >
> > Is there any preference between GPL v2 and GPL v3 from the Debian packagers?
> > Is there some other license that I should consider instead?
>
> GPL v3 would be best.

Personally, I would use "GPLv2 + later" wording. This is because
GPLv2 and GPLv3 are incompatible with each other:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#v2v3Compatibility

Situations where you need to combine GPLv2 only Ada code with GPLv3
arm-formatter and *distribute* the result, are probably rare, but
just in case. :)

--
Tero Koskinen - http://iki.fi/tero.koskinen/