Re: Dependencies of -dbg and -doc packages

Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
> Stephen Leake wrote:
>> Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:
>>> Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
>
>> Currently, synaptic gives an empty list when searching for
>> "ada-compiler dependencies". So for that to work, all Ada
>> packages should Suggest ada-compiler. That might be better
>> than Suggest gnat.
>
> Yes.

Good idea; I think that's the best suggestion so far.  The
packages should also Suggest: gnat for good measure (i.e. for
people who know GNAT from other distributions).

>>> Yes; I think I'll try to implement your suggestion when I
>>> get around to it.  The problem is that this meta-package
>>> would require maintenance.
>>
>> How will you decide what to include in it?
>
> If a -dev package follows the Debian policy for Ada (and
> contains Ada source code), then it is clearly a candidate.

Exactly.

> I would of course also include "ada-compiler" in the
> dependencies.
>
> In addition to this I would consider various tools for Ada
> programmers such as "ada-mode" (for Emacs) and "gnat-gps".

ada-mode is obsolete (merged into emacs), that leaves gnat-gps
as the only Ada-specific IDE.

> One might split it in two:
>
>   - "build-depends-ada" depending only on "ada-compiler" and
>     the "-dev" packages.
>
>   - "ada-developers-toolbox" depending on "build-depends-ada"
>     as well as "ada-mode", "gnat-gps" and other tools for Ada
>     programmers.

So we have two serious proposals (aside from my initial idea):

- all Ada packages Suggest: ada-compiler and gnat; this helps
  users find them by browsing interactively.
- a meta-package (or two) depending on all Ada packages: this
  helps users install all packages with one aptitude command
  (i.e. "aptitude install ada-developers-toolbox").

The second solution requires much more maintenance in the future.
Also the list of "blessed" packages might become contentious :)
I suggest we drop it for the time being and instead implement
the Suggests: in the Debian Policy for Ada and add an appendix
explaining how to take advantage of the Suggests.

OK?