Re: Dependencies of -dbg and -doc packages

Stephen Leake wrote:
Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

And "how can he/she easily install a complete Ada development environment".

There is no single answer to that question. Just choosing between GPS and Emacs is not simple. "install a basic Ada developmenent environment" is accomplished by "aptitude install gnat". But "complete" depends heavily on what you are doing. Do you need OpenToken (for writing mini-languages), or libgtk (for writing GUIs) or libasis (for writing source-parsing tools)? I happen to have all of those installed, but I am _not_ typical :).

Is it wrong to give people all of it? I may not be a typical Ada programmer either, but as long as our definition of a complete Ada development environment is sufficiently small to fit in the resources of a typical (potential) Ada developer, I prefer to get a bit too much, rather than a bit too little.

If we somehow manage to make it trivial for people to find and select the tools themselves, then such a package may not be relevant anymore. But I would definitely like it to be a one-liner, when I tell people how to install a Ada useful development environment.

I think we should expect people to search for "Ada". How can we help them get most out of that query?

Delete all other packages that have the "ada" in the name. Not going to happen.

Could we get Synaptic to list exact, case-sensitive debtags matches higher than other search results?

I don't think I ever used dependency browsing as a way to find Ada packages.

Neither did I, until now. That's why we need a FAQ.

Maybe there is currently a Debian FAQ with hints about how to find packages; we could add to that as well.

http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-software.en.html does not reference synaptic; it talks about searching text files with lists of package names. Definitely needs improving.

Maybe with an Ada example? ;-)

I find that process so annoying, so I have created an awful hack, which installs all the Ada packages I know of in one step.

I assume that's a shell script with a list of 'apt-get install' commands?

Yes. Including handling of slightly different names in different versions of Debian.

That's not an "awful hack". I have similar lists of things to install on a new box. It's the right way to get the environment you want.

Greetings,

Jacob
--
"Any politician with a live opposition does not understand
 how to make proper use of the true instruments of politics."