Re: espeakup stops speaking bookworm arm64

On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 at 20:14, Frank Carmickle <frank@carmickle.com> wrote:
> I guess you missed my followup message that it still does stop speaking. I'm trying to notice as much as I can about the environment when it stops speaking.

I did read that message - it seemed possible to me that configuring a
language could have altered the program's behaviour and reduced either
the number of errors, or their frequency.

> Maybe it's that I haven't tried the default language though. How would I find that?

I'm not sure yet, but I do see some "udeb" scripts that might be
relevant and should be found in the following directory:
/usr/share/espeakup-udeb/

And in package version 1:0.90-11, I see a default voice of "en" in the
udeb start script, in at least three places.

There are some more recent package versions available, if you'd like
to try an upgrade.  It would be nice to figure out what the error's
cause is/was, though.

> I do find that it stops speaking mostly when I am navigating by character. It seems as though navigating by character a bit slower is mostly when it happens, but not all the time.
>
> It's super annoying that it can quit after a minute of use or many hours.

Yep, bugs with unpredictable timing can be particularly hard to track
down.  I noticed some references to process threads in one of your
and also in the source code: that occurs to me as a possible area to
investigate, although I don't have clear suggestions on how we could
pinpoint thread-related timing issues.