file permissions

Hi,
I'm trying to transfer some files from my Debian via teraterm using scp to
my windows computer and I get permission denied.
These are log files from /var/logs.
I copied them as root from there to my home user folder, and there I did
chown 777 on the files, but I still get the permission denied.
I then tried to sudo su in the teraterm session, and even logged in as root,
I still get the permission denied message.
So I copied the two files to /home and got the same error.
Is there another way to make these files transferable?
Thanks.

Glenn