Re: how to format

parted has helped me format drives in the past too.  It should work on
debian too.  In archlinux I did:
lsblk
Then checked id of new drive on system.  If it's sdb
parted -a optimal /dev/sdb
Then I did:
unit mib
Then I did:
print
That shows what if anything is already on the disk.
If the type of disk is good, msdos or gpt you don't need to use the
mklabel command.
If not what you want
mklabel msdos or mklabel gpt.
Then mkpart command and set the type of partition.
mkpart help if memory serves should show you the required parameters.

Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com> "There are four boxes to be used in
defense of liberty:
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)

.