Re: firmware-11.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso Install
On 8/21/21, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> I've had a while to try to get debian 11.0.0 installed and I wanted to
> give a status report.
> First the most important part, I found a work around.
> If you select "MATE" instead of "Default" in the upper right corner,
> you can log in with your username.
< snipped >
> Everything works well until booting into the system, the system goes
> into an infinite loop when putting the user password in.
> Here's the work around, select "Mate" instead of "Default" in the
> upper right of the log in screen, and it will work.
I've been in that login loop myself a few times. In my case, it seems
like it's always something about permissions. It seems like I've been
able to fix it by logging in as root then deleting my user's
.Xauthority file (one of those "dot" files under our users' home
directories). In my case, it gets corrupted or something.
In your case, I don't know if that would help or not. That's odd that
selecting the Mate option instead of Default fixes it for you,
especially if Mate *is* your default. If removing/renaming .Xauthority
did work, maybe Default is corrupting that file for some reason.
Which leads me to say that I do rename that .Xauthority file instead
of deleting it. My usual go-to favorite is to attach the date that it
was having problems.
As an aside of how I ever came to poke at .Xauthority: When I first
had problems with it, I would sort the user's home directory by date
with newest on top.
That .Xauthority file would show up early on top. I also knew that the
.Xauthority file was created on the fly the first time I would log in
to a new debootstrap'ed copy of Debian because my new users only had
three dot files and that was not one of them.
That made it feel safe to push the old .Xauthority out of the way to
let the system create another new file on the fly. And it did just
happen to work a few times before I stopped breaking that part of my
setups for some reason.
Here's a second aside. The last time I had problems, I renamed it with
an apparent associated error that's not ringing a bell now. I attached
"ipv4stdinError" (ipv4 stdin error) to that file instead of the date.
Leaving that here in case it makes sense as a login error causative to
Samuel or others.
Talking Rock, Pickens County, Georgia, USA
* runs with birdseed *