Re: Debian Install Suggestions

I find what I need by search with ddg.gg it gets me right to what I need.

That's exactly how I found what I sent you in a direct email.

I'll send it here also because some might like it.

Also Ubuntu is not Debian.  Ubuntu is missing many of the command line tools Debian has.  Also I don't remember if speech-dispatcher is provided for Ubuntu.

Debian despite it's annoying "free" only software stance is much better. I don't understand what seems to be your unwillingness to use the Debian unofficial CDs with non-free firmware, but your willingness to use Ubuntu which is full of non-free firmware and everything else.

I just want a system that works and speaks in console.  Debian does that and it does it first-class.

Slint also does that but Slint doesn't have the range of software Debian has.

I'm using Debian and Slint.  Both have their strengths.

Best wishes,
David

ere from the Debian Wiki on accessible installation.

5.2.4. Software Speech Synthesis

Support for software speech synthesis is available on all installer images which have the graphical installer, i.e. all netinst, CD and DVD images, and the netboot gtk variant. It can be activated by selecting it in the boot menu by typing s Enter. The textual version of the installer will then be automatically selected, and support for software speech synthesis will be automatically installed on the target system.

If several sound cards are detected, you will be prompted to press Enter when you hear speech from the desired sound card.

The first question (language) is spoken in english, and the remainder of installation is spoken in the selected language (if available in espeak).

The default speech rate is quite slow. To make it faster, press CapsLock+6. To make it slower, press CapsLock+5. The default volume should be medium. To make it louder, press CapsLock+2. To make it quieter, press CapsLock+1. To get more details on the browsing shortcuts, see the Speakup guide. To just accept the default answer for a question, simply press Enter at the prompt. To provide an empty answer for a question, type ! at the prompt. To get back to the previous question, type < at the prompt.

Here is the image I recommend.  I'm not a free software purist, I just want a system that works.

To get the install CD:

wget https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/current/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-10.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso

Remember to press s as described above and then  to follow the instructions to press RETURN when you hear the sound on your computer.

After installing, get the multimedia  gpg key.

wget http://www.deb-multimedia.org/pool/main/d/deb-multimedia-keyring/deb-multimedia-keyring_2016.8.1_all.deb && dpkg -i deb-multimedia-keyring_2016.8.1_all.deb

I  include an updated /etc/apt/sources.list file, save the one you have using root to move to sources.list to sources.list.orig and then saving this one as sources.list.

File attached.

Update and upgrade.

Regards,

David