Debian Install Suggestions

Hello list,

I have a communication disorder (humor impaired) and visual myopia.  I am trying to install:

-- Debian busta 10.3 on an
-- AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 graphics.

I did a minimal install without a desktop.  It booted to a console font.  When I logged in the correct user/password.  The screen blanked and sat there.  I think it had something to do with my refusal to install a non-free binary blob for the graphics driver.  No thanks.  I have given up getting help from the Internet.  (People, if I wanted non-free software on my computer, I would have reinstalled Windows 8.1.)

However, I did have some comments on the install from DVD:
                                                      ^^^
o The "Speech Synthesis" option is a fantastic idea.  The implementor, however, needs to read some Patrick Henry Winston, understand the power of dimensionality in problem solving, and partition the menu choices better.  Think of those customer service menus you get on the plain old telephone (more advanced than the new stuff, IMO).

-- "Press or say (1) for Spanish.  Press or say (2) for any other language.",

rather than reading them all off and dumping a non-scrollable text list.  Hierarchy gives you power.  Also, there is no way to adjust the volume with hardware on my laptop, so the audio was too low (better than blasting away my ear drums, I guess).

o I found that the "Install" option was better for my impaired thinking than the "Accessible Dark", although that was mostly due to having to use scrolling to see everything.

Thank you for your efforts!

--
Stewart Milberger

 ^|||^