Re: Debian Install Suggestions

I'm not sure the minimal install resulting in a blank screen is
actually due to lack of non-free graphics drivers. While the GUI is an
integral part of Windows that Microsoft forces upon all users, in
addition to giving users the choice between a number of different
Desktop Environments, Linux can be run without any gui at all, much
like MS DOS from the pre-Windows days. I'm pretty sure the minimal
install of Debian skips installing a GUI of any kind, leaving you with
just the command line. If you actually want a GUI, you need to include
one of the Desktop environments at the select and install software
step of the installation or manually install one post-installation(I
believe most recommend either Gnome or Mate for beginners in need of
accessibility.

As for the installer itself, as someone who installed Debian many
times prior to going blind, I do miss being able to use up and down
arrows to scroll through menus in the installer and while the numbers
can be useful for quickly selecting a known option, I think a hybrid
approach(or at least a quick reference that could be used to look up
the numbers for appropriate options prior to launching the installer
would be nice... I do agree language selection and keyboard layout
selection might have too many options for a single list to not be
cumbersome.