Re: making an accessible boot disk

On 5/31/19, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> wrote:
> Bios never did talk and what sighted help my friend was able to get
> failed to do bios modifications correctly.  Windows users with low
> levels of technical experience and this one had seen a bios for the
> first time she tried to help us.  My friend lives in rural Georgia which
> is lacking local neighborhood linux user's groups.  For that matter
> upper bucks county in Pennsylvania is in no better shape.

I hear what you're saying about BIOS not speaking and also about how
there are still pockets of non-tech savvy folks in parts of the United
States. I wondered about BIOS not speaking so I was actually hoping
for the sighted help angle, if nothing else.

I wonder if maybe there's a "newbie friendly" webpage that walks
through each BIOS step for your friend's specific computer model. If
your friend ever finds one and is able to actually change it, they
might want to make a few copies to lay around in case they ever change
their mind, grin.

There are little quirks to sometimes hitting Enter to do yada-yada.
Other times, it's maneuvering via arrow keys. It would be nice if
there was an online how-to that presented a step-by-step that showed
what was needed at each point for each "tab" or "page" that many or
most BIOS have these days.

It's... sad that the very long existing BIOS remains inaccessible to
the point that a User has to resort to taking a computer apart to
accomplish the same thing in the end... :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *