making an accessible boot disk

I'm curious.  If I put a debian iso on a flash drive can I put a second
file on that flash drive with a boot parameter or two in it which the iso
will find when booted and use?  I'm asking this since I'm trying to help a
friend remotely to rescue his hard drive and both of us at best have
infrequent sighted assistance available.  Alternatively if his system
boots a flash drive (we haven't established that yet) would there be some
way for him to know when to key in boot parameters without looking at the
screen?