Re: tips for a new qemu user

Hello,

Odd Martin Baanrud, on Mon 28 Nov 2016 18:47:15 +0100, wrote:
> > I've not yet read the wiki page, first of all I'd like to know more
> > about what are the problems and questions regarding Quemu.
>
> As I stated in my previous message regarding this, I thaught building a
> VM with qemu involved a huge amount of command-line parameters.

"huge" just means "one option per piece of hardware you want to
emulate". Typically I just use

qemu -m 1G -cdrom installation-cd.iso -hda disk-image.img

> If qemu is started with the '-curses' option, can the job be done via an
> interface, or is this option just used to provide an accessible
> interface to an already created VM?

-curses is just an option to make the qemu interface accessible. The
"interface" of qemu is however limited to the output of the VM, there is
no widget to add memory / insert CDROM etc. That is all command line
options.

> The challenge is that I'm unable to use the '-curses' option.
> There's no qemu binary on my system, and running i.e. qemu-i386 with the
> '-curses' option produces an error.

That's expected, qemu-i386 is only for executing programs, it's not
meant for full VMs. What you want is qemu-system-i386.