post-install with mini.iso

I got an install done with mini.iso. Two things I noticed. On normal debian install you get a choice of kernels to install and one of them was linux 3.16 and the other was linux kernel amd. That didn't happen with mini.iso possibly since that was a test case and a kernel install was not necessary to test. If that was the case, it explains why post-install and booting into system speakup did not come up speaking. Interestingly the default kernel offered was linux kernel amd and I don't know if that's more recent than linux kernel 3.16 or the vintage 1994 hardware in use made that default a better choice in my case. I will try a stretch testing install later today using the speakers that work to find if I have speakup talking post-install. If a kernel was installed by mini.iso I can find this out using another system's rescue disk and doing hard drive inspection I think we would then have a more serious problem with sound board picker code in that post-install it doesn't allow for speakup to run. On post-install with mini.iso, I had logitech speakers connected to computer and usb speakers connected to desk and desk connected to computer and had chosen the usb desk connected speakers to be used early in mini.iso installation. One of the reasons I wanted to try a mini.iso install was a report on debian-users to the effect that partition disks step failed and package lists were coming up unsigned. I found neither of these problems with mini.iso and like the o-p I too have sata disks and no exotic hardware unless disk sleds are exotic hardware on this old machine.