Re: orca for unstable

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 01:47:59PM +0100, Sebastian Humenda wrote:
> First of all, do you know whether orca 3.10 would work with GNOME 3.8? I have in
> mind that 3.8 was an exception where only Orca 3.8 would work, but I'm not sure.

I don't know since I'm still using orca 3.4.2-2 from Debian/unstable
with all kinds of desktops. Using the correct environment variables and
startup sequence, orca will work fine with LXDE, KDE or Gnome up to 3.8,
apart from the two annoying bugs I mentioned before. Plain GTK2 as well
as GTK3 work fine. I did not get a chance to test orca 3.10, but if
someone provides a preliminary package, I can try. :-)

> >- orca resets the keyboard layout to us-english shortly after start, I
> >could not identify the location in the source where this weird thing
> >happens. Since most readers here are probably using orca in english,
> >maybe nobody noticed?
> How can I test that? I just started orca, but I can't remember an Oca
> functionality where the difference between a German and an US-English keyboard
> might be visible.

Orca really changes the keyboard layout, so if you has configured your
Xorg to use a german keytable, orca will reset this to english. The most
prominent visible difference is that y and z are swapped on the german
keyboard (qwertz instead of qwerty).

You will only be able to see this behavior if you had set a different
keyboard, other than english, for your desktop. The keyboard layout
change is global and not related to a specific window accessed by orca.
And it's not just the "xmodmap" call in orca.py, which I already removed.

> >- when started without gnome-session (i.e. LXDE), orca does not see
> >iceweasel and iceweasel is also not being listed by "orca -l". Not sure
> >if this is a bug in orca or iceweasel. It seems to be related to the way
> >orca assembles the list of desktop programs, and session registration.
> Sounds bad, cannot check that at present.

You will need a .xsession where you start "orca -n" prior to your
desktop session ("startlxde", for example), and before both, set
environment variables for enabling accessibility accordingly:

export SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN="gtk" GTK_MODULES="gail:atk-bridge" GNOME_ACCESSIBILITY=1 QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1

Despite an occasional message of some gnome programs that "GTK2 and GTK3
accessibility" would "not be supported at the same time", it works with
both.

> For me Orca starts up but fully ignores my running speech-dispatcher which I
> configured to use Alsa. As soon as I open the configuration screen, change to
> the speech settings and press 2-3 times tab, I get "screen not in text mode" on
> my braille display.
> First I thought Orca might have crashed, but after tabbing three more times I
> got indeed back the expected controls like the "ok" button. This looks very
> strange.

See my prior post about speech-dispatcher configuration as a system-wide
service.

Regards
-Klaus