Re: need some accessible command-line tools

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 02:23:51PM -0700, Don Raikes wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I don't know where else to ask this question, so here it goes.
>

> I am building a console-only debian-based live/installed system, and I am looking for any suggestions on packages for the following:
>

> 1.       Pdf to text/html conversion (found pdftohtml, but not pdftotext).
The package poppler-utils will provide pdftohtml and pdftotext alongside
some other useful pdf manipulation commands.

> 2.       Some kind of perhaps curses-based word processing program. Doesn't have to be real fancy,
>
> But need to be able to import resulting documents into office or openoffice.
Any good text-editor (vim, emacs, even nano) should allow you to create
UTF8 encoded plaintext files which can be imported into any respectable
Office suite. If you want greater formatting, you could have a look at
LaTEX, which is a very powerful typesetting language allowing export to
PDF, RTF (latex2rtf), html (latex2html) and so forth. You could also
look at simplified solutions such as aft, which allow export of simple
formatting to a variety of file types, including RTF.

> 3.       Text-based network management tool.
All the necessary tools should already be present.

Cheers,
S.M.
--
Sebastien Massy