Re: Knoppix

grml had or has boot line parameters that can be used to test the volume
of a sound card before installation ever starts.  If I remember correctly
it was the first and only accessible version of Linux to offer such
additional help.  If the speech is a problem after installation, that's a
different kettle of fish and admitedly more problematical. On Mon, 28 Jan
2013, Tony Baechler wrote:

> On 1/28/2013 7:27 AM, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> > Have you tried the ADRIANE version of Knoppix, a Debian derivative,
> > which starts with speech immediately?
>

> Yes, I have.  The CD I burned is in front of me as I write and I plan to give
> it to a new Linux user.  I'm impressed that it comes up talking. That's why I
> abandoned grml also.  It became too difficult to get speech reliably.
> However, I have two major problems.  First, I can't adjust my volume.  I tried
> looking at the minimal documentation and I can't figure out how.  Second, I
> can't get to a shell, so I can't try amixer or aumix.  Since it uses SBL and
> not Speakup, the commands don't work the way I would expect.  It appears that
> I am put into a menu from which I can't exit, but I can hardly hear it, so I
> don't really know what's going on.  For someone with no Linux experience, it's
> a good choice because of the friendly menu system, but for an experienced user
> who wants a live or rescue CD, the menu gets in the way.  Since I couldn't get
> to a shell, I couldn't shut down the machine.

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
Adobe fiend for failing to Flash