Knoppix

On 1/28/2013 7:27 AM, Klaus Knopper wrote:
Have you tried the ADRIANE version of Knoppix, a Debian derivative,
which starts with speech immediately?

Yes, I have. The CD I burned is in front of me as I write and I plan to give it to a new Linux user. I'm impressed that it comes up talking. That's why I abandoned grml also. It became too difficult to get speech reliably. However, I have two major problems. First, I can't adjust my volume. I tried looking at the minimal documentation and I can't figure out how. Second, I can't get to a shell, so I can't try amixer or aumix. Since it uses SBL and not Speakup, the commands don't work the way I would expect. It appears that I am put into a menu from which I can't exit, but I can hardly hear it, so I don't really know what's going on. For someone with no Linux experience, it's a good choice because of the friendly menu system, but for an experienced user who wants a live or rescue CD, the menu gets in the way. Since I couldn't get to a shell, I couldn't shut down the machine.