Re: Orca shortcuts

Hi,

Jason White <jason@jasonjgw.net> (28/07/2012):
> Jean-Philippe MENGUAL <mengualjeanphi@free.fr> wrote:
> > With my Wheezy, I try running orca automatically at the starting of
> > gnome. For this, in System Parameters, Universal Access, I check
> > "Enable screen reader".
>
> I added it as a startup application to the desktop instead.
>
> > But when orca starts, no shortcuts are available (I mean orca's
> > shortcuts). No key works (I cannot do ins+t, ins+f, etc.). I only
> > get again orca's shortcuts killing orca then running it again by
> > hand. Did someone experience this?
>
> No, it doesn't happen here, but see above.
>
> If you enable it as a screen reader you'll get the desktop file under
> /etc that prevents Orca's main window from being displayed by default;
> this is in accordance with Gnome policies, as I recall from a
> discussion on the Orca list.
>
> The proper configuration is apparently to set it up as an application
> which is started when the desktop loads and not to use the "enable
> screen reader" option.

maybe that's just me, but when Orca is installed *and enabled as a
screen reader in a user session* explicitly, what's in /etc should just
be overriden. No extra step (like copying a desktop file over) should be
needed.

(BTW, I'm not sure how tricky it is to enable that very option. Maybe
Orca, when installed, should be launched in any cases, and could be made
opt-out: people not wanting it could just click a “please, never start
Orca again” button on their very first session. That would make the
default session accessible on the first run, which I think would be
nice.)

Mraw,
KiBi.