Re: Debian linux howto start in textmode

Hello Claudio,

It's somewhat off-topic, especially if you want to keep the version that
was already installed on your computer, but I would like to point you to
our ADRIANE project, which is Debian GNU/Linux preconfigured on a live
CD, DVD or flash disk installation (which can also be transferred to
harddisk as regular installation). ADRIANE starts directly into a
talking text mode menu with optional braille support via sbl,
speech-dispatcher and espeak.

http://knopper.net/knoppix-adriane/index-en.html

You can download the speech-enabled CD version from most of the Knoppix
mirrors. It does not require an installation and runs best from a usb
flash disk, but if you like, you can install it to harddisk, too.

ADRIANE also supports starting xorg from the text menu with orca, if you
need to use OpenOffice or firefox, but just for WWW, we use the
javascript-enabled elinks browser in textmode, which is IMHO easier to
navigate and faster than firefox with orca.

Regards
-Klaus Knopper