Re: Some orca questions

Hi,

Firstly, I confirm, even if, of course, it's not great for system
stability, yes you can use orca on squeeze with experimental. To do
this, add the experimental repository in sources.list, apt-get update,
apt-get -t experimental gnome-orca. No dependencies that squeeze would
not have. It works fine. Not necessary to build.

Martin, don't hesitate if I can help you for your other issues.

Then:

Le samedi 05 mars 2011 à 10:47 +1100, Jason White a écrit :
> Mario Lang <mlang@debian.org> wrote:
>
> Staying with Squeeze is going to become increasingly infeasible for people who
> want the latest accessibility-related tools, especially Orca and Gnome. This
> is one of the reasons why I run Sid - Debian stable is too stable (read,
> unchanging) for my purposes, but it's ideal if you need that kind of
> stability.
I think squeeze can be fine for people who don't have too specific needs. Of course there are things to solve today, that I try reporting (Evolution, shortcuts on Gnome, ...). I hope it'll work. So far I consider lenny is the best compromise for a11y, if no specific hardware and needs. Migrating is hard, squeeze has issues to solve. I think it's needed to be careful with updates, as I'm not fully optimistic about future: gnome 3, orca 3, ... So I think it's better to stay stable and so far, lenny is fine; squeeze must be fixed (I speak for ordinary user).

> In practice, at least in my experience, it's surprising how little breakage
> occurs in Sid. Most of the time, I can just keep upgrading without any
> negative side effects. I wouldn't recommend it, though, for people who haven't
> yet learned system administration to the point at which they can work their
> way out of problems that may arise and downgrade packages appropriately. On
> the other hand, I started using Sid about a year after moving to Linux in the
> late 90s, at which point I was still relatively new to administering the
> system, though somewhat more experienced as a user, based on prior UNIX
> knowledge.
>From the user point of view, sid is ... dangerous. I had problems with X on a VM for example. You're right, not every user can use it.
>
> Regards,

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL