Re: Some orca questions

Mario Lang <mlang@debian.org> wrote:

> Nobody has worked on a backport of orca for squeeze, and
> I do not particularily plan to do so.  So its basically
> untested regarding squeeze.

Staying with Squeeze is going to become increasingly infeasible for people who
want the latest accessibility-related tools, especially Orca and Gnome. This
is one of the reasons why I run Sid - Debian stable is too stable (read,
unchanging) for my purposes, but it's ideal if you need that kind of
stability.

There is also a move in Debian toward a constantly usable testing
distribution, which could be a good option for many of those who need
something more recent than stable but who don't want to be trying the very latest packages all the time.

In practice, at least in my experience, it's surprising how little breakage
occurs in Sid. Most of the time, I can just keep upgrading without any
negative side effects. I wouldn't recommend it, though, for people who haven't
yet learned system administration to the point at which they can work their
way out of problems that may arise and downgrade packages appropriately. On
the other hand, I started using Sid about a year after moving to Linux in the
late 90s, at which point I was still relatively new to administering the
system, though somewhat more experienced as a user, based on prior UNIX
knowledge.