Re: installing with the debian installer and selecting pam profiles and gdm3 not able to login using the keyboard

Hi, I ran at the boot screen debconf/priority=low speakup.synth=dectlk with no beep prompt so no clue as to when to type in the values for the first few times I was wondering if speech was even included in the installer why don't these mini.iso images beep or can't they be made to beep? The lenny ones do still beep once the base system was installed I went to console two chrooted into /target and ran dpkg-reconfigure debconf and selected low configuration questions. Then exitted from the chroot, went back to the installation screen and that is when I got that pam selection screen. Why is the debconf priority for the installation not carried over to the target system? Once the pam selection screen comes up I did try the numbers with spaces like the other numberd screens allow but no matter what I tried the installer still would not let me continue so had to abort the installation using control and alt and delete as control c just left me at a blank screen. Nick Gawronski ----- Original Message ----- From: "Samuel Thibault" <sthibault@debian.org>
To: "Nick Gawronski" <nick@nickgawronski.com>
Cc: <debian-accessibility@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2010 9:23 AM
Subject: Re: installing with the debian installer and selecting pam profiles and gdm3 not able to login using the keyboard

Hello,

Nick Gawronski, le Wed 06 Oct 2010 09:57:40 -0600, a écrit :
Hi, I am using the latest testing gtk mini iso image and was installing testing and chose to install X as well as the standard system. When the pam profiles
were selected

Err, I didn't reach such question, so can't work on the bug you're
facing.  AIUI, you chose the low level for debconf questions, but then
answered the default answers, except probably partitioning, and in
tasksel, you selected the graphical desktop and standard system, i.e. 1
and 10, right?

and any keys I press on the keyboard I don't get to a login screen and I
can't login and start speech.

Note that gdm3 first permits to choose a login instead of typing it. To
type a login, you need to first press the end key, then enter, and then
type your login, enter, password, enter.

If possible could there be an option in the configuration of gdm3
to enable orca upon login so users could use speech to login to the
system

There is one, it's just quite complex:

sudo -u Debian-gdm gconftool --type bool --set /desktop/gnome/applications/at/screen_reader_enabled true

I'm checking with upstream about adding a shortcut to trigger the gnome
accessibility panel.

Samuel