Re: Installing Orca from svn under Debian

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 03:58:35PM +1000, Daniel Dalton wrote:

> Where did you here that? I use apt for pretty much everything, but can
> use aptitude.
> Most things I read refer to apt-get, and aren't they the same pretty
> much?
> What's the difference?

Aptitude uses different (widely regarded as better) dependency resolution
algorithms. It also has better features, such as the aptitude search command,
for finding packages.

While it is possible for both the Debian and svn versions of Orca to be
installed on the same system, the problem is how to control which will be run
when the Gnome environment starts Orca. I don't know whether the first version
of orca (/usr/bin/orca, /usr/local/bin/orca) found in $PATH is started, or
whether it is more complicated than this. Also, there is the problem of the
Python path and where it looks for the Orca modules.