Re: need audio feedback for both USB and regular keyboards

Hello Rick,

I give you some answers, without really testing them. Please, give me feedback...

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 16:20:58 -0400
rberger@sympatico.ca wrote:

> Hi,  I' m looking for a way I can get some audio feedback from both the
> regular keyboard on my laptop and an external USB keyboard. The issue is
> hand finger dexterity due to CP.  The noisier the keyboard the better,
> in fact the Teletype 33 had one the best keyboard I've ever used, but
> that's a few decades ago.

:-)
you could convert the 5bit code and still work on it, connecting the tty via serial port to your ibm...

> Right now I'm just looking for a quick fix that just generates any noise
> when the key is pressed.  Later I'd like to look at unique key
> signatures and something for the key press and key release, as well as
> other things.

ohh, hope you know the german words...
System>Einstellungen>Barrierefreiheit>Tastatur Barrierefreiheit>filter>Tastenverzoegerung aktivieren (maybe adjust to 0).

here you could get a noise for every key, doesn't matter if it is a build in or usb keyboard.

I am not shure, but I remember there are more accessibility keyboard features on the kde desktop.

> The laptop, currently is a IBM ThinkPad P III running Ubuntu 7.04,
> Feisty. Any suggestions?
>
> Oh, and is there any way of just turning off the touch pad and switches
> so I can just use a USB mouse?

make shure you have a synaptics touchpad, then add a few lines in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

          Option "SHMConfig" "on"
          Option "TouchpadOff" "1"

have a look at
man synaptics
man synclient

maybe you want to use your keypad instead of a mouse?
System>Einstellungen>Barrierefreiheit>Tastatur Barrierefreiheit>Maustasten

after that, logout and again login.

best regards,

yokoy