Re: Re: Extending accessibility support in D-I for Lenny

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 11:49:33AM -0500, Willie Walker wrote:

> From the orca-users list and from private e-mail, what I've seen is
> that this basically comes down to a user preference.  Users will choose
> the distribution that suits their skill set, temperament, and
> philosophical points of view.  From a high level, it's great that people
> have a choice.

Exactly right. The Debian community, I think, needs to decide upon priorities
regarding the skills and preferences that they want to provide for in
improving the accessibility of the installation process. For braille display
users this is already done and (in my experience and judging by recent reports
on the list) it works well. For speech users this is still being worked out.

>Much of the
> accessibility work these days lives in the graphical space, as do many
> of the assistive technologies.

Yes, probably because that's the area which was and remains most in need of
work. At the console level, both braille and speech solutions have existed for
a very long time. The very first attempt to make X applications accessible
with assistive technologies, so far as I know, was the UltraSonix project,
originally developed for Sun workstations. Although the source was released
and a Linux version was begun, it was never finished. Then came the Gnome
accessibility project.