Re: Shells and Syntax Again

Mario Lang wrote:
No, Linux is for people who know what they are doing :-).
Hehe, see what you mean <smiley>.

Yeah, and where do you get the diskspace from?
Well, I've got only 10 GB on this Linux box but provided that I'll install Debian on the other machines at some point, they have loads more. Disk space is cheap these days.

rm some file, I *want* it gone, immediately.
Everything else would be highly anoying,
Perhaps this is a matter of taste and or skill but I still don't think some kind of an undo mechanism should be bad. Humans make errors, and user interfaces should be forgiving accordingly. In Windows, I've set up things so that it does use the recycle bin but doesn't confirm deletes to that bin. It's a nice middle-ground. Of course I also use shift+delete for large things I won't ever be needing again.

That is like using Java, since it will prevent your most stupid
programmers from harming your company too much.
That's one way to look at it. Let's not start a Java debate but on the other hand: It will support proper Unicode, make GUI coding loads easier than in WIndows, have regexp, zip and MIDI support in the standard library not to mention built-in object serialization and multi-threading, Oh yes, and no buffer overruns any more.

I admit Java can be a bit clunky sometimes but I seem to still like it quite a bit. I did one parsing utility just latetly first with Perl and then converted it to Java. Java's regexp implementation wasn't actually as clunky as I thought. It supports possessive quantifiers, which is something even Perl 5 cannot pull off yet.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@mail.student.oulu.fi)
Accessibility, game music, synthesizers and more: