Re: Shells and Syntax Again

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Mario Lang wrote:
 > > Does Linux have some kind of an undelete command, and might it be
 > > called urm for consistency?
 >
 > No, Linux is for people who know what they are doing :-).
infact yes, there are 2 demian packages that claim to undelete fiels but
only on ext2fs
one is called recover, the other I don't remember.
But I agree with mario that linux is for people who know what they are
doing.
Needless to say, I did an rm -rf * as root in / once ;(

 > > I wonder if a shell could have unlimited undo capabilities like many
 > > graphics or sound editors do.
a shell is only an interpreter of commands, no mroe no less.

 > > One way to achieve something like that at least partially would be
 > > to flag things to be done and then have some special commit command
 > > that could also be rolled back if something goes wrong.
you're to database-minded :)

 > Yeah, and where do you get the diskspace from?
 > If I, as a Linux user, rm some file, I *want* it gone, immediately.
 > Everything else would be highly anoying, at least to me.
 > That is like using Java, since it will prevent your most stupid
 > programmers from harming your company too much.  I still maintain
 > the viewpoint, that as a boss, you rather should fire your most stupid
 > programmers, instead of using Java.  BUt thats just me.
you refer to it's sandbox model nodoubt ;)

--
Andor Demarteau                 E-mail: ademarte@students.cs.uu.nl
student computer science        www: http://www.students.cs.uu.nl/~ademarte/