Re: X Accessibility (Was: Gnopernicus ...)

Kenny Hitt wrote:
Gnopernicus is supposet to work with Swing.
Ah another question out of the way. THX for the info.

thinking the only way to use a computer is with a GUI.
I'm not thinking that way but I do admit I was mostly talking about X accessibility here.

That isn't a big loss, just
annoying.
I'm not sure if I'd say the same. I mean, I've been spoiled by GUIs so to speak. Even though Linux is loads more powerful than DOS, I still don't feel quite at home sitting in front of a text terminal. At least as a Linux newbie it often seems like in Linux I gotta actively think of what I'm doing. In a graphical OS, I can think of what I'm going to do next in stead of having to think how am I going to do this or this. let's not start a GUI vs console war here, though.

I just wanted to point out that as I have a little sight left, though I still need mag and speech, I find GUis very nice as long as they are relatively accessible. I've been quite happy on the Windows side with Winamp, NoteTab Pro, 2X Explorer and a variety of other great apps.

I've also always preffered a GUi e-mail client. IF you tweak the settings a bit and use OE quote fix, Outlook Express is more than sufficient for my mailing and newsing needs. 90 percent of the stuff offered in the real powerful mail apps goes unused anyway in my case.

The same applies to file management. I simply find it loads easier on the GUI side as long as you've got visual filters and a dual-pane file manager. Just my two cents.

you have to learn a new way to look at the computer as well as a new set
of programs.
That's quite a lot to ask. I still feel much more at home in Windows as I've been using it for the last eight years or so. Dunno, perhaps LInux will feel more cozy after a while. I cannot really take an objective stand on this issue until I've got proper speech and mag support working and have got some real world experience with Linux apps.

stand alone version of Mozilla with speech output.
Why didn't they go totally free in the Debian sense with this?

group  of programs the Linux distro decided to use to get a GUI interface.
In one way this is a weekness, too. More choices means having to support more libs in terms of accessibility and less consistency for the average user.

Win-Main
I'm just learning the basics and in deed there's such a function with some horrible looking arguments. It's not that bad once you get into the Hungarian notation, though.

Enter isn't the default for ok.
Can this be changed?

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@mail.student.oulu.fi)
Accessibility, game music, synthesizers and more: